Created in the spirit of ‘Reuse, Reduce, and Recycle’, Zing has refitted and refurbished iconic Volkswagen Beetles to operate electronically, maintaining the old school charm with new age functionality
We use an existing car body to create a new entry-level electric vehicle with sustainability at its core. The electrical conversion of the old school VW Beetle involves refurbishment, modernisation and refitting of the classic vehicles with an electric motor and batteries. Features typical of the ZingBug include a funky exterior, retro-style interior and clever on-board electronics. The cars will be available for purchase as well as through shared usage business models.
Success So Far
The ZingBug is turning heads wherever we take it with the first proof of concept having been completed in July 2015. Our progress thus far includes:
- Global Cleantech Innovation Programme (GCIP 2015): Top 10 finalist & Best Female Led Business
- Cleantech Open (USA) intensive training & mentoring
- South African Innovation Summit (Cape Town, August 2015) ‘PWC Pitching Den’: Winner of 2nd Prize in the Green Innovation Category
- Partnered with North West University, Potchefstroom: research and development for refining the ZingBug whilst maintaining its low-spec, low cost, ultra-sustainable nature.
- Entered the 2016 Sasol Solar Challenge in the Sustainability Fleet category - in partnership with fellow entrepreneurs from the GCIP program